Life of Lilian January

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
This is a blog about the life and love of Lilian January...

Sunday, November 16, 2008

my mom

I love my mom. We have never been the best of friends and I always thought that she does not like me. I was Daddy's little girl all throughout the years. daddy suddenly passed away and then I felt alone. No one else there but me. I could'nt speak to anyone like I spoke to him.

Then me and my mom were alone, all the other children were married and out of the house by then. This then 'forced' us to talk. I came to know and love this woman more and more. I always knew that she was special but never realised how speacial. And in the process I learnt so much about me. There were such alot of her in me! And I loved it. I felt the need to take care of this fragile woman. I felt that I had a responsibility towards my dad to take care of her. She was the woman that he he loved and they were together for 40 years!!! That is a lifetime in itself.

That said, the week when I was to get married, she had a stroke. I was devastated. My brothers blamed me. I was so sad and angry at the same time. They wanted me to postpone the wedding. She said no! The wedding should go on. She so much wanted to be at my wedding, she made a full recovery in less than a week!!!!! WOW, I was so very happy! She is a fighter and she put alot of effort into it and she would'nt be anywhere than at my wedding.

She was good for a few months. My brother did not take proper care of her and she had another stroke. I was going to give up my job just to look after her. But now I also had a responsibility towards my husband. I was torn apart. I was not about to loose that woman now! She then made another nice recovery. She could'nt do much for herself but she could still do some of her normal activities.

January this year she had a MAJOR STROKE!!!! I was in tears when I saw her!!! I could'nt believe this is that same strong yet fragile woman that took care of our family for 40 years! (I am only 25). Instead of that bringing a family together. The whole family fell apart. I fell apart! Life just did not seem the same.

She speant 6 months in a Rehab centre but no progress. She can only use her right hand. She is like someone that has nothing to live for. She has 6 children and 13 grandchildren and 3 great garndchildren. Why would'nt she want to live for them?

She is now in the good and capable hands of my sister and she is well taken care of. And she is very happy where she is. There is not a day that goes by that I wish that I could have her stay with me. But unfortunately I don't have the resources and to be honest the energy to take care of her. But I am there for her every step of the way. There is not a thing that I would not do for her and she knows it! I love her so much. She has been through so much throughout her life. Caring and loving her family and now it is our turn to return the favour.

1 comments:

miskien.. miskien nie said...

What a great story girl, I lost both my parents and I tell you, it is SUCH a privilage to have any parent. Good luck with your mom, hope she will indeed survive all this trouble and live long enough to see your grand children as well!!!

xxx